Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: HDFS-758 in Hadoop-21 , Updates to  Namenode health page

On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

>     Then you'll have no issues patching other things in 0.21 that
> are actual
> bug fixes that also meet this criteria, right?  Or does this only
> apply to
> things that Yahoo! is hitting/deemed worthy?
Allen raises a good point that the rest of the community may  not need
some of the features that Yahoo
finds useful internally. It may clutter Hadoop unnecessarily.
Most of these admin GUI improvements are pluggable.
Perhaps this particular  plugin did not even need to go into trunk. It
could have been made available as a separate downloadable or
contrib module. This way folks can use it across releases and only if
they need it.

Further, there are a few new GUI improvements in the hadoop community
that are proprietary - we should make it easier to create new admin
plugins easily. This way users  can create new plugins that are useful
to them internally; it also allows companies to create proprietary
plugins for their customers.

sanjay