Avro, mail # user - avro compression using snappy and deflate

+
snikhil0 2012-03-30, 07:43
+
easyvoip@... 2012-03-30, 07:51
+
snikhil0 2012-03-30, 07:54
+
Shirahatti, Nikhil 2012-03-30, 19:08
+
Tatu Saloranta 2012-03-30, 19:45
Re: avro compression using snappy and deflate
Scott Carey 2012-04-02, 15:31

On 3/30/12 12:08 PM, "Shirahatti, Nikhil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>I think I figured our where I goofed up.
>
>I was flushing on every record, so basically this was compression per
>record, so it had a meta data with each record. This was adding more data
>to the output when compared to avro.
>
>So now I have better figures: atleast looks realistic, still need to find
>out of it is map-reduceable.
>Avro= 12G
>Avro+Defalte= 4.5G

Deflate is affected quite a bit by the compression level selected (1 to 9)
in both performance and level of compression.  However, in my experience
anything past level 6 is only very slightly smaller and much slower, while
the difference between levels 1 to 3 is large on both fronts.

>Avro+Snappy = 5.5G
>
>Have others tried Avro + LZO?

I have not heard of anyone doing this.  LZO is not Apache license
compatible, and there are now several alternatives that are in the same
class of compression algorithm available, including Snappy.