Hadoop >> mail # user >> Specifying System Properties in the had

Specifying System Properties in the had
I'm trying to set a System Property in the Hadoop config, so my jobs will know which cluster they are running on.  I think I should be able to do this with -Dname=value in "mapred.child.java.opts" (example below), but the setting is ignored.
In hadoop-site.xml I have:
<property>
<name>mapred.child.java.opts</name>
<value>-Xmx200m -Dfoo=test</value>
</property>
But the job conf through the web server indicates:
mapred.child.java.opts -Xmx1024M -Duser.timezone=UTC

I'm using Hadoop-0.17.2.1.
Any tips on why my setting is not picked up?

Marc

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL - NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: THIS E-MAIL IS MEANT FOR ONLY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION, AND MAY BE A COMMUNICATION PRIVILEGE BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, ANY REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS EMAIL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL AND PLEASE DELETE THIS MESSAGE FROM YOUR SYSTEM.