Avro, mail # user - Properties on union schema?

+
Christophe Taton 2013-07-14, 02:01
+
Connor Doyle 2013-07-14, 02:15
+
Christophe Taton 2013-07-15, 17:57
Re: Properties on union schema?
Doug Cutting 2013-07-15, 18:25
The reason is simply that the JSON syntax for union schemas doesn't
permit properties.  To support properties we'd need to add an
alternate syntax for unions, but I don't see how to do that
compatibly, so that an old client seeing one of the new union schemas
would still be able to process the data.

For example, the syntax might be something like:

{"type":"union", "branches":[...], "prop1":"val1", ...}

But that would cause errors in every existing implementation.

Doug

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Christophe Taton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm toying with a few changes to provide alternative representations of
> union fields in Java (somewhat related to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-248).
> To experiment with this, I'd like to set properties on union schemas, but
> properties are currently disabled on unions.
> Is there a particular reason for this, or is it a reasonable change to allow
> properties on unions?
> Thanks,
> C.
+