Hadoop >> mail # user >> What should I do with a 48-node cluster

Re: What should I do with a 48-node cluster
On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Michael Segel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> While Ted ignores that the world is going to end before X-Mas, he does hit
> the crux of the matter head on.
>
> If you don't have a place to put it, the cost of setting it up would kill
> you, not to mention that you can get newer hardware which is better suited
> for less.
>
> Having said that... if you live in the frozen tundra like Montana, or some
> place like ... er Canada or Siberia... , it may make more sense to use it
> to heat your home with it.
> Just think of the side benefits from all that potential additional compute
> power....  :-P

I can say from experience that the sound of a bunch of servers in a home
setting is a novel one that is probably unlike anything you have known
before.

If you haven't experienced that, then taking on these servers could be
classified as novelty seeking behavior.