HBase >> mail # user >> RPC Replication Compression

+
Asaf Mesika 2013-06-04, 08:21
+
Anoop John 2013-06-04, 09:34
+
Asaf Mesika 2013-06-04, 12:22
Re: RPC Replication Compression
Replication doesn't need to know about compression at the RPC level so
it won't refer to it and as far as I can tell you need to set
compression only on the master cluster and the slave will figure it
out.

Looking at the code tho, I'm not sure it works the same way it used to
work before everything went protobuf. I would give 2 internets to
whoever tests 0.95.1 with RPC compression turned on and compares
results with non-compressed RPC. See
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rpc.configs

J-D

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Asaf Mesika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If RPC has compression abilities, how come Replication, which also works in
> RPC does not get it automatically?
>

> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Anoop John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > 0.96 will support HBase RPC compression
>> Yes
>>
>> > Replication between master and slave
>> will enjoy it as well (important since bandwidth between geographically
>> distant data centers is scarce and more expensive)
>>
>> But I can not see it is being utilized in replication. May be we can do
>> improvements in this area. I can see possibilities.
>>
>> -Anoop-
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Asaf Mesika <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Just wanted to make sure if I read in the internet correctly: 0.96 will
>> > support HBase RPC compression thus Replication between master and slave
>> > will enjoy it as well (important since bandwidth between geographically
>> > distant data centers is scarce and more expensive)

+
Stack 2013-06-04, 23:34