Hive >> mail # user >> how to know a hive query failed

how to know a hive query failed
hi,
    I use a shell script to run hive query in background, like this
    hive -e "select uname, age from usertable" >> result.csv &

    sometimes, the hive query failed, but I can't find.
    only thing I can do is waiting for long time, 5 or 6 hours, if I still can't see the result.csv, I know the query failed.
    is there some way to let hive tell me the query failed?
Kent