Hive >> mail # user >> Upper case column names

+
Mayank Bansal 2012-08-14, 15:24
+
Travis Crawford 2012-08-14, 22:10
+
Edward Capriolo 2012-08-14, 23:20
Re: Upper case column names
On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Edward Capriolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Just changing the code is not as easy as it sounds. It sounds like this
> will break many things in production for a lot of people.
Absolutely - case sensitivity would be a big change. In the patch we're
playing around with we centralized the toLowerCase business in a single
method, and can turn it on/off per-query.

--travis

> On Tuesday, August 14, 2012, Travis Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Hey Mayank -
> > I've looked briefly at case-sensitivity in Hive, and there's a lot of
> places where fields are lowercased to normalize. For HCatalog, I'm playing
> around with a small patch that makes case-sensitivity optional and it works
> if you run queries with Pig/HCat against the metastore. It would be a
> pretty large patch to make hive optionally case sensitive though.
> > Case sensitive field names as an option certainly would use helpful
> though.
> > --travis
> >
> > On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:24 AM, Mayank Bansal <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> The column names in hive are by default case insensitive.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if there is any way, I could make the column names case
> sensitive?
> >>
> >> I am running a model on a data, the data is now stored in hive, the
> model has columns referred in camel case.
> >>
> >> It would require a lot of effort to change the code of the model, so I
> was wondering if I could change my hive schema or anything.
> >>
> >> Would changing the metastore_db help in someway ?
> >>

> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Mayank
> >>

> >> ________________________________
> >> This email message may contain proprietary, private and confidential
> information. The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s)
> or entities to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission,
> dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
> this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient
> is prohibited and may be illegal. If you received this in error, please
> contact the sender and delete the message from your system.
> >>
> >> Mu Sigma takes all reasonable steps to ensure that its electronic
> communications are free from viruses. However, given Internet
> accessibility, the Company cannot accept liability for any virus introduced
> by this e-mail or any attachment and you are advised to use up-to-date
> virus checking software.

+
kulkarni.swarnim@...) 2012-08-15, 02:36
+