Avro >> mail # user >> AVRO and SSL/TLS RPC calls

Re: AVRO and SSL/TLS RPC calls
Hi Max,

I did something similar recently to handle RPC calls from Node.js to our Scala services.

We use a WebSocket connection over SSL/TLS.  This reduces the overhead associated with handling a bunch of HTTP headers for every request.  Each connection begins with the client-server handshake as described in the spec.

To allow responses to flow back to each client in the order they complete, the client writes a sequence number in the metadata for each request.  The server writes this same sequence number into the metadata for the corresponding response.  This requires both endpoints to keep a little more state around.

--
Connor