Hey Doug,

On Aug 31, 2012, at 9:00 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 8:09 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am saying that the current members of the Apache Software Foundation's Hadoop
>> Project Management Committee exhibit the characteristics (not just during
>> discrete events; it's been happening for a long time) of folks who in reality
>> shouldn't belong to the same project management committee. Note: this is
>> NOT a bad thing. There are probably plenty of (sub-)sets of groups at Apache
>> and elsewhere that folks wouldn't fit in to. I've enumerated some of
>> those characteristics that you can see sometimes spill over
>> (meta thought discussions about moving things around; or drawing arbitrary
>> lines around pieces of code that really have nothing to do with technical
>> stuff, and more to do about insulating and control;),
>
> Hadoop's community is not perfect.  But the divisions in the community
> are not primarily aligned with subcomponent boundaries.  A project
> split will thus not likely fix the majority of these community
> imperfections.  It may fix some, but ought to be pursued carefully so
> that it doesn't cause more harm than good.

My own personal opinion of this is that yeah they aren't necessarily
aligned subcomponent boundaries too so +1 agree with you.

>> but there are also other
>> concerns such as frameworks put in to place (exclusivity amongst others)
>> that themselves are pretty high indicators that this is an umbrella project.
>
> The partitioning of committers has now been removed in a separate
> vote.  Hadoop is not a classic umbrella project.

Despite me thinking that's a band-aid it's probably at least a good start.
Let's hope it leads to some better interactions amongst the community
members and to better health overall.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.