Pig, mail # user - Exception Handling in Pig Scripts

RE: Exception Handling in Pig Scripts
Santhosh Srinivasan 2011-01-15, 02:18
Sorry about the late response.

Hadoop n00b is proposing a language extension for error handling, similar to the mechanisms in other well known languages like C++, Java, etc.

For now, can't the error semantics be handled by the UDF? For exceptional scenarios you could throw an ExecException with the right details. The physical operator that handles the execution of UDF's traps it for you and propagates the error back to the client. You can take a look at any of the builtin UDFs to see how Pig handles it internally.

Santhosh

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitriy Ryaboy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2011 10:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Exception Handling in Pig Scripts

Right now error handling is controlled by the UDFs themselves, and there is no way to direct it externally.
You can make an ErrorHandlingUDF that would take a udf spec, invoke it, trap errors, and then do the specified error handling behavior.. that's a bit ugly though.

There is a problem with trapping general exceptions of course, in that if they happen 0.000001% of the time you can probably just ignore them, but if they happen in half your dataset, you want the job to tell you something is wrong. So this stuff gets non-trivial. If anyone wants to propose a design to solve this general problem, I think that would be a welcome addition.