HBase >> mail # dev >> Does compatibility between versions also mean binary compatibility?

Re: Does compatibility between versions also mean binary compatibility?
I generally agree that we are not at the point of keeping binary or even
source compatibility of Phoenix's use of RegionScanner's etc. In order to
be very flexible, we are giving coprocessors too much control.

For normal client-level API's, I am not convinced that we should keep
binary compatibility between major versions. It will tie our hands of doing
some changes between major versions. An example is essential column family.
If you add a method to a public interface, you make it source incompatible.
Instead we should support
 - Binary and wire compat between minor versions
 - Wire compat and rolling restart between major versions. Rolling upgrade
support.

Enis