Hive >> mail # dev >> [Discuss] project chop up

+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-26, 02:48
+
Brock Noland 2013-07-26, 04:52
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-26, 04:56
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-26, 13:33
+
Thejas Nair 2013-07-26, 17:36
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-26, 23:09
+
Alan Gates 2013-07-27, 03:10
+
Brock Noland 2013-07-27, 03:40
+
Alan Gates 2013-07-27, 04:04
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-07-27, 14:03
+
Brock Noland 2013-07-27, 15:51
+
Mohammad Islam 2013-07-27, 18:19
+
Brock Noland 2013-08-07, 19:06
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-07, 19:57
+
Brock Noland 2013-08-07, 20:01
Re: [Discuss] project chop up
> I'd like to propose we move towards Maven.

Big +1 on this. Most of the major apache projects(hadoop, hbase, avro etc.)
are maven based.

Also can't agree more that the current build system is frustrating to say
the least. Another issue I had with the existing ant based system is that
there are no checkpointing capabilities[1]. So if a 6 hour build fails
after 5hr 30 minutes, most of the things even though successful have to be
rebuilt which is very time consuming. Maven reactors have inbuilt support
for lot of this stuff.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-3449.
On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 2:06 PM, Brock Noland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thus far there hasn't been any dissent to managing our modules with maven.
>  In addition there have been several comments positive on a move towards
> maven. I'd like to add Ivy seems to have issues managing multiple versions
> of libraries. For example in HIVE-3632 Ivy cache had to be cleared when
> testing patches that installed the new version of DataNucleus  I have had
> the same issue on HIVE-4388. Requiring the deletion of the ivy cache
> is extremely painful for developers that don't have access to high
> bandwidth connections or live in areas far from California where most of
> these jars are hosted.
>
> I'd like to propose we move towards Maven.
>

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Mohammad Islam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> > Yes hive build and test cases got convoluted as the project scope
> > gradually increased. This is the time to take action!
> >
> > Based on my other Apache experiences, I prefer the option #3 "Breakup the
> > projects within our own source tree". Make multiple modules or
> > sub-projects. By default, only key modules will be built.
> >
> > Maven could be a possible candidate.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Mohammad
> >

> > ________________________________

Swarnim
+
Owen OMalley 2013-08-07, 20:49
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-07, 21:04
+
Owen OMalley 2013-08-07, 21:20
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-16, 03:14
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-16, 15:58
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-17, 02:31
+
Xuefu Zhang 2013-08-17, 03:16
+
Edward Capriolo 2013-08-20, 14:28
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2013-08-20, 21:31
+
amareshwari sriramdasu 2013-08-21, 06:35
+
Thiruvel Thirumoolan 2013-08-21, 23:13
+
Brock Noland 2013-07-27, 04:25