MapReduce, mail # user - Multidata center support

Re: Multidata center support
Michael Segel 2013-09-05, 01:15
Sorry, its a poor idea period.

Its one thing for something like Cleversafe to span a data center, but you're also having unit of work in terms of map/reduce.

Think about all of the bad things that can happen when you have to deal with a sort/shuffle stage across data centers...
(Its not a pretty sight.)

As Adam points out... DR and copies across data centers are one thing.
Running a single cluster spanning data centers...

I would hate to be you when you have to face your devOps team. Does the expression BOFH ring a bell? ;-)

HTH

-Mike

On Aug 30, 2013, at 5:26 AM, Adam Muise <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nothing has changed. DR best practice is still one (or more) clusters per site and replication is handled via distributed copy or some variation of it. A cluster spanning multiple data centers is a poor idea right now.
>

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM, Rahul Bhattacharjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My take on this.
>
> Why hadoop has to know about data center thing. I think it can be installed across multiple data centers , however topology configuration would be required to tell which node belongs to which data center and switch for block placement.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul
>

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Baskar Duraikannu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have a need to setup hadoop across data centers.  Does hadoop support multi data center configuration? I searched through archives and have found that hadoop did not support multi data center configuration some time back. Just wanted to see whether situation has changed.
>
> Please help.
>

> --
>

> Adam Muise
> Solution Engineer
> Hortonworks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 416-417-4037
>
> Hortonworks - Develops, Distributes and Supports Enterprise Apache Hadoop.
>
> Hortonworks Virtual Sandbox
>
> Hadoop: Disruptive Possibilities by Jeff Needham
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

Use at your own risk.
Michael Segel
michael_segel (AT) hotmail.com