Accumulo >> mail # dev >> ingest performance oscillations and Xceivers

+
Kepner, Jeremy - 1010 - M... 2013-01-02, 02:19
+
Eric Newton 2013-01-02, 02:45
+
Jeremy Kepner 2013-01-02, 19:11
Re: ingest performance oscillations and Xceivers
How many disks do you have? That can be bottle-necking throughput as the
number of Xceivers is related to the number of resources (threads, sockets:
http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/03/hbase-hadoop-xceivers/) used at once
to perform operations.

On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Eric Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey Jeremy,
>
> Can you compare the ingest rate to the number of tablets, too?
>
> I've found, that if I have 20-80 tablets per server (on similar hardware) I
> get the best performance.
>
> # of Xceivers == number of writers when ingest is the primary target.
>
> Also, is this 1.4 or trunk?
>
> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM, Kepner, Jeremy - 1010 - MITLL <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Accumulo Colleagues,
> >   I am trying to optimize my ingest into a single node Accumulo instance
> > running on a 32 core node with 96 GB of RAM.  I am seeing the follow
> ingest
> > variations as a I change the number of ingest processes (see attached):
> >
> > -------------------------------------
> > Ingestors, Ingest rate
> > -------------------------------------
> > 1, 60K inserts/sec (stable)
> > 2, 120K inserts/sec (stable)
> > 3, 60K to 180K inserts/sec
> > 4, 90K to 220K inserts/sec
> > 8, 80K to 280K inserts/sec
> > 12, 80K to 280K inserts/sec
> > -------------------------------------
> >
> > The only thing I can see that correlates with the ingest rate is the
> > number of Xceivers.  When the ingest rate is high the number of Xceivers
> is
> > usually low.  Likewise, when the ingest rate drops, the number of
> Xceivers
> > usually increases significantly.
> >
> > Question: What role to Xceivers play in ingest?
> >
> > Request: It would be great to add a plot showing the number of Xceivers
> > over time to the diagnostics.
> >
> > Regards.  -Jeremy

+
Kepner, Jeremy - 0553 - M... 2013-01-03, 00:25
+
Eric Newton 2013-01-03, 18:19
+
William Slacum 2013-01-03, 16:24
+
Jeremy Kepner 2013-01-03, 22:25
+
John Vines 2013-01-03, 23:04
+
Kepner, Jeremy - 0553 - M... 2013-01-04, 00:31
+
Josh Elser 2013-01-04, 00:47
+
Kepner, Jeremy - 0553 - M... 2013-01-04, 00:55
+
Drew Farris 2013-01-04, 01:26
+
Kepner, Jeremy - 0553 - M... 2013-01-04, 16:30
+
John Vines 2013-01-04, 01:10
+
Josh Elser 2013-01-04, 01:10