MapReduce, mail # user - Reg LZO compression

Re: Reg LZO compression
lohit 2012-10-17, 04:31
As Robert said, If you job is mainly IO intensive and CPU are idle, then
having lzo would improve your overal job performance.
In your case it looks like the job you are running is not IO bound and
seems to take up CPU in compressing/decompressing the data.
It also depends on the kind of data. Some dataset might not be compressible
(eg random data) , in those cases you would end up wasting CPU cycles and
it is better to turn off compression for such jobs.

--
Have a Nice Day!
Lohit