HBase, mail # user - How practical is it to add a timestamp oracle on Zookeeper

+
yun peng 2013-04-16, 12:14
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-16, 12:19
Re: How practical is it to add a timestamp oracle on Zookeeper
yun peng 2013-04-16, 12:40
Hi, Jean and Jieshan,
Are you saying client can directly contact region servers? Maybe I
overlooked, but I think the client may need lookup regions by first
contacting Zk as in figure 8-11 from definitive book(as attached)...

Nevertheless, if it is the case, to assign a global timestamp, what is the
practical solutions in real production today? since it still needs some
centralised facility.. Please enlighten me. thanks.
Regards
Yun
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Yun,
>
> If I understand you correctly, that mean that each time our are going to do
> a put or a get you will need to call ZK first?
>
> Since ZK has only one master active, that mean that this ZK master will be
> called for each HBase get/put?
>
> You are going to create a bottle neck there. I don't know how many RS you
> have, but you will certainly hotspot you ZK server. I'm not sure it's a
> good idea.
>
> JM
>
> 2013/4/16 yun peng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Hi, All,
> > I'd like to add a global timestamp oracle on Zookeep to assign globally
> > unique timestamp for each Put/Get issued from HBase cluster. The reason I
> > put it on Zookeeper is that each Put/Get needs to go through it and
> unique
> > timestamp needs some global centralised facility to do it. But I am
> asking
> > how practical is this scheme, like anyone used in practice?
> >
> > Also, how difficulty is it to extend Zookeeper, or to inject code to the
> > code path of HBase inside Zookeeper. I know HBase has Coprocessor on
> region
> > server to let programmer to extend without recompiling HBase itself. Does
> > Zk allow such extensibility? Thanks.
> >
> > Regards
> > Yun

+