HBase >> mail # user >> HBase Column Family TTL and cell deletions

HBase Column Family TTL and cell deletions
Hi,
I have a table "service_counters" that has service id as row id.
There is a column family "stats-hourly" that stores counters related to
that service per hour.
I have set TTL to be 7 days for the column family.

{NAME => 'service_counters', FAMILIES => [{NAME => 'stats-hourly',
COMPRESSION => 'LZO', TTL => '604800'}]}

Now the problem is that I still see columns that are more than 7 days old.
I have also run major compactions but I still see old rows.
Any pointers as to why these columns are not being deleted?

Thanks
Ashish