Hive >> mail # user >> order by date

order by date
I realize that hive doesn't have a date type for the columns and I realize that hive *does* have various date functions.  I just haven't found a concrete example of how these two issues are brought together.  Ordering the results of a sql query is done by adding "order by dateColName" to the query.  Are the date functions supposed to be used in the form "order by UNIX_TIMESTAMP(dateColName, 'yyyy-MM-dd')"?  Does the function just go right into the "order by" clause like that or is that totally wrong?

How does one order query results by a date column?  Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

"What I primarily learned in grad school is how much I *don't* know.
Consequently, I left grad school with a higher ignorance to knowledge ratio than
when I entered."
                                           --  Keith Wiley