Avro >> mail # user >> Avro cross-version serialization format compatibility

Avro cross-version serialization format compatibility
Hi,

I have a question about serialization compatibility across Avro versions.  I'm looking to deploy a product across my organization that uses Avro to package messages.  Existing products in the organization already have a customized Avro library a few versions old.  I've been trying to determine if, for example, a message serialized with Avro 1.3.0 will be deserializeable with version 1.7.4 if they use the same schema definition.  I found the Change Log<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO?report=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:changelog-panel&allVersions=true> page, and it looks like the last version where there were "incompatible changes" outside the API was version 1.3.0.  However, I didn't find any resource on the Avro pages or the net that specifically went through changes to the serialization format for different Avro releases.  So, is what I'm asking possible?  Is there any resource where I can find information about breaking changes between Avro versions?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Arthur
+
Doug Cutting 2013-02-27, 17:47