HDFS >> mail # dev >> Replacing the JSP web UIs to HTML 5 applications

Re: Replacing the JSP web UIs to HTML 5 applications
This is a really interesting project, Haohui.  I think it will make
our web UI much nicer.

I have a few concerns about removing the old web UI, however:

* If we're going to remove the old web UI, I think the new web UI has
to have the same level of unit testing.  We shouldn't go backwards in
terms of unit testing.

* Most of the deployments of elinks and links out there don't support
Javascript.  This is just a reality of life when using CentOS 5 or 6,
which many users are still using.  I have used "links" to diagnose
problems through the web UI in the past, in systems where access to
the cluster was available only through telnet.  If we are going to
remove this capability, we need to add some other command-line tools
to get the same functionality.  These tools could use REST if we have
that, or JMX, but they need to exist before we can consider removing
the old UI.

best,
Colin