Accumulo, mail # dev - Change in 'accumulo init' behavior

+
David Medinets 2013-02-02, 04:36
+
John Vines 2013-02-02, 04:50
+
Christopher 2013-02-02, 05:19
+
John Vines 2013-02-02, 20:10
+
Christopher 2013-02-03, 02:44
Re: Change in 'accumulo init' behavior
Keith Turner 2013-02-02, 19:22
On Sat, Feb 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David, John-
>
> This is a good point. I think it'd be better to retain the previous
> behavior, for backwards compatibility, or eliminate all these prompts
> entirely (my preference is the latter). If I may speak about the original
> design of the user management functionality, the whole point of a "root"
> user in the first place was to provide a basis for managing other users.
> However, this role is obsoleted by any pluggable authentication mechanism,
> because those alternate implementations may have drastically different user
> management capabilities, and the root user is no longer required.
>
> A large part of my overall criticism of the new authentication model is
> this intermingling of pluggable authentication mechanisms with Accumulo's
> former API for user management. I find it difficult to get behind a
> pluggable authentication system that still tightly coupled to the built-in
> user management functionality (except where needed for backwards
> compatibility with the user/password)... mainly, because I thought the
> whole point of pluggable authentication (or at least, the best argument for
> it) was to unlink these, and allow user- and authorization-management
> external to Accumulo.

Did you open jira issues?  Want to get the API for 1.5 right since we
will have to live with it for a while.

> --
> Christopher L Tubbs II
> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
>

> On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 11:50 PM, John Vines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this has changed in trunk to support the pluggable authentication
>> schemes.
>>
>> Sent from my phone, please pardon the typos and brevity.
>> On Feb 1, 2013 11:36 PM, "David Medinets" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > The following command used to work:
>> >
>> >   su accumulo -c "/usr/local/accumulo/bin/accumulo init
>> > --clear-instance-name --instance-name instance --password secret"
>> >
>> > but now it is asking for a name:
>> >
>> >   Enter name for initial root user ( root):
>> >
>> > I can easily update my script to use --username but wanted to point
>> > out this behaviour change.

+
Christopher 2013-02-03, 01:37