Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset

Re: [DISCUSS] Hadoop Security Release off Yahoo! patchset
Hi Eli,

Thanks for the suggestion.

+1 to nigel and arun's proposal.

I completely support the idea of creating a version of 20 with append for HBASE.  However, the append issue is very complicated and there does not exist any version of append that is certified against a workload as diverse as what this branch has been tested against.  I think you are trying to cross too many streams here.   If you have resources to help integrate any version of Hadoop 0.20 with append, package and test it, I fully support you doing so.  But that effort is not aligned with the goal of this branch, which is to share a substantial amount of fully integrated and tested work.  Members of the community have expressed interest in seeing this tested work get checked into Apache and I would like to share it.  Mashing it up with other patches would invalidate months of testing, defeating the purpose of the exercise.

If you are interested in integrating Append with this branch, why not create a 20.200 branch and do so?

Unless you are vetoing the sharing of work as is on a branch (the purpose of the branch), I suggest we move on.

Thanks,

E14