HBase >> mail # user >> Question about HBase for OLTP

Re: Question about HBase for OLTP
Delete and Updates in HBase are like new writes.. The way to update a cell
is to actually do a Put. And when you delete, it internally flags the cell
to be deleted and removes the data from the underlying file on the next
compaction. If you want to learn the technical details further, you could
look at the source and also refer to the BigTable paper for the design
principles.

-Amandeep