Hadoop >> mail # user >> Question about HA and Federation

Re: Question about HA and Federation
Hi ESGLinux,

Federation and HA are two distinct features that share some common
properties but nothing more. You can turn on HA for any selected
Namespace but it is not necessarily needed to be that all Namespaces
have HA.

Perhaps an example will clear it up for you.

I have a local instance that is configured to run several namespaces:
ns1, ns2, and ns3 (Federated Namespaces).
The namespace ns1 hosts my HBase tables and is critical to me, so I
have also turned on HA for this namespace alone.
The other two namespaces ns2 and ns3 are used only for regular query
jobs so its not yet very important for me to have HA on it. So I run
them without HA.

Thus I have 4 NameNode processes in my cluster in all, given my design
above: (2 NNs under ns1, in HA mode) + (1 NN of ns2) + (1 NN of ns3).

--
Harsh J