Kafka >> mail # user >> SimpleConsumer throwing OffsetOutOfRangeException

SimpleConsumer throwing OffsetOutOfRangeException
Hi,

We are sending all of our production events to Kafka, but nobody is
consuming it right now. The system is running for a week.
The retention period is set to 72 hours.

When I run a SimpleConsumer with offset 0, I get OffsetOutOfRangeException.
I tried using some arbitrary higher values such as 1000000 etc, but it
didn't work.
It was working fine few days ago. If I use Zookeeper based consumer, it
works fine.

Is there any way I can find out what is the least offset for a topic on the
broker and start with that using  SimpleConsumer? If I don't know the exact
offset, am I not allowed to use SimpleConsumer?
Is this happening because some of the events might have been deleted by
borkers given that the log retention period is only 72 hours?

Regards,
Vaibhav
GumGum