Hadoop >> mail # general >> Plans for the 0.22 Release

Re: Plans for the 0.22 Release
On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Konstantin Shvachko
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Owen, Doug, Tom
>
> Could you please formulate and reply to this email separately
>     what would be an *ACCEPTABLE *resolution of
>     HADOOP-6685 for *YOU *to move *0.22* forward.
> Just trying to get something to work with to get us beyond the stagnation
> point.
>
> It could be "I want this patch in/out as is, final answer". Then we are
> stuck.
> But at least we will know there is no resolution to hope for anymore.
> And we have to find other ways based on that fact.
>
> It could be a zero-option plan - remove dependencies both for Avro and
> ProtocolBuffers out into libraries, similar to schedulers.
> Or something else.
> Let's see if there is any common ground. If there is
> we can further talk about implementation and in the mean time declare
> the 0.22 freeze contingent on the completion of H-6685.

I don't personally see HADOOP-6685 as a blocker for a 0.22 release,
since there is a lot of value in there already that has not been
released yet, such as security. However, to get HADOOP-6685 resolved,
from my point of view the main thing to sort out are the modularity
concerns that I and others have raised, so that serializations are
pluggable and don't add potentially incompatible libraries onto the
user's classpath.

Thanks,
Tom