HBase >> mail # dev >> Code review request for hbase-4120 table priority

Re: Code review request for hbase-4120 table priority
>I would really like to see the isolation feature in 0.94+, so I intend to
>work with Jia and, if there is a successful result, support it going
>forward in a manner like Stargate, even though I may not run it
>personally (like I don't run Stargate). I take an expansive view of what
>open source projects should accept...
>
>On the other hand there are users and committers of HBase for whom
>stability is paramount. I expect the tension :-); it will make us a
>healthier project.
>
>But we cannot have a new feature acceptance criteria that requires
>several "core users" run it in production.

I think we should be really careful here because a laissez-fare attitude
will keep the project from reaching a new level of maturity.  There are a
number of committers from various companies who are using this for
business-critical applications, want to provide users with a build that
they can use for business-critical applications, and independently coming
to the same conclusion that we need a more stable trunk.  In fact, it was
important enough for us to discuss in depth at the HBase pow-pow a couple
weeks ago, with 30+? people.  There are other open source projects out
there that aren't used for as critical data and would love to have that
next feature that might differentiate them.  As a maturing product, we
don't need a ton of new features as much as we need our features to work
properly and have some well-thought tweaks for completeness.

That said, this thread has been split between a discussion about
HBASE-4120 and a discussion about open source inclusivity.

I appreciate the effort that Tao Bao is putting into HBASE-4120.  I'm glad
that they have plans to use this in a production environment.  I'm glad to
hear that there are active companies that also want to use this feature in
a critical environment.  That said, I gave an initial scan for HBASE-4120
and found race conditions & necessary design refactoring.  This was just
an introductory scan, so I didn't look very hard and expected to find more
issues in a later scan.  I have not looked at the diff recently because of
prod release issues; but I find it disturbing that other reviewers didn't
find those issues, since I waited over a month to review that patch.  I
would expect that a committer wanting to use this feature in his company
for production would do a much more thorough analysis than I did.