I forgot to mention that map is contained in the HDFSEventSink class.
Are you setting a roll interval? I use roll intervals so the .tmp files
were getting closed, even if they were idle. They were just never being
removed from that hashmap.
On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM, DSuiter RDX <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is insightful - I found the need to place an idleTimeout value in the
> Flume config, but we were not running out of memory, we just found out that
> lots of unclosed .tmp files got left laying around when the roll occurred.
> I believe these are registering as under-replicated blocks as well - in my
> pseudo-distributed testbed, I have 5 under-replicated blocks...when the
> replication factor for pseudo-mode is "1" - and so we don't like them in
> the actual cluster.
> Can you tell me, in your research, have you found a good way to close the
> .tmp files out so they are properly acknowledged by HDFS/BucketWriter? Or
> is simply renaming them sufficient? I've been concerned that the manual
> rename approach might leave some floating metadata around, which is not
> If you're not sure, don't sweat it, obviously. I was just wondering if you
> already knew and could save me some empirical research time...
> *Devin Suiter*
> Jr. Data Solutions Software Engineer
> 100 Sandusky Street | 2nd Floor | Pittsburgh, PA 15212
> Google Voice: 412-256-8556 | www.rdx.com
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM, David Sinclair <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have been investigating an OutOfMemory error when using the HDFS event
>> sink. I have determined the problem to be with the
>> WriterLinkedHashMap sfWriters;
>> Depending on how you generate your file name/directory path, you can run
>> out of memory pretty quickly. You need to either set the *idleTimeout*to some non-zero value or set the number of
>> The map keeps references to BucketWriter around longer than they are
>> needed. I was able to reproduce this consistently and took a heap dump to
>> verify that objects being kept around.
>> I will update this Jira to reflect my findings