Hadoop >> mail # user >> kill-task syntax?

kill-task syntax?
hadoop job -kill-task and -fail-task don't work for me.  I get this kind of error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: TaskAttemptId string : task_201103101623_12995_r_000000 is not properly formed
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.TaskAttemptID.forName(TaskAttemptID.java:170)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskAttemptID.forName(TaskAttemptID.java:108)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.run(JobClient.java:1787)
at org.apache.hadoop.util.ToolRunner.run(ToolRunner.java:79)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.main(JobClient.java:1956)

How is that not a properly formed task id?  I copied it straight off the job tracker?  Killing a job generally works for me........although much to my dismay the job often doesn't actually die, which is why I'm not attempting to kill the underlying tasks directly.

Thanks.

"You can scratch an itch, but you can't itch a scratch. Furthermore, an itch can
itch but a scratch can't scratch. Finally, a scratch can itch, but an itch can't
scratch. All together this implies: He scratched the itch from the scratch that
itched but would never itch the scratch from the itch that scratched."
                                           --  Keith Wiley