Accumulo >> mail # dev >> [DISCUSS] How to generate RC's

Re: [DISCUSS] How to generate RC's
Overall, the process looks good, and I agree with Josh's clarification. Two
pieces of feedback:

1. Step 8 removes a recording of the history leading to the release. For
example, suppose rc1 is no good, and it takes three commits to get to rc2,
which passes. When we remove the rc1 branch, how do we easily figure out
months later which commit rc1 had been based on? (Look at an rc1 JAR
manifest for the hash? eww.) On the other hand, I can see a benefit in
removing inactive branches and tags to reduce clutter.

2. We could save a step, namely #7, by applying the increment to
x.y.a-SNAPSHOT (the next version) on the tip of x.y.z-SNAPSHOT instead of
on x.y.z. However, this would not leave a linear history, so I leave it to
the more Git-savvy to decide if that is important in this case.

Bill H