Flume, mail # user - In flume-ng is there any advantages of 2-tier topology in  a cluster of  30-40 nodes?

+
Jagadish Bihani 2013-01-30, 06:05
Re: In flume-ng is there any advantages of 2-tier topology in  a cluster of  30-40 nodes?
Alexander Alten-Lorenz 2013-01-30, 06:26
Hi,

If the agents (Tier 1) have access to HDFS, each single client can put data into HDFS. But this doesn't make really sense, instead you want different files from different hosts in a structured view (maybe per host a directory, the contents inside split into buckets).

When you implement a Tier 2 (maybe 2 or more servers who has access to HDFS), you can have more features like loadbalancing, HA and mirrored sinks, as example (one sink put the data into HDFS, the other sink into a other system for backup maybe). For stability and reliability a Tier 2 architecture is recommend. And made some things easier ;)

Cheers,
 Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz