HBase, mail # user - Sudden increase in disk utilization

Sudden increase in disk utilization
Vimal Jain 2013-10-17, 12:45
Hi,
I have configured Hbase in pseudo distributed mode.
I have only one table in hbase (event_data).
When i run following command it shows that this table has utilized  8.38 GB.

Command :-
*[hadoop@woody logs]$ $HBASE_HOME/bin/hbase org.jruby.Main ~/dus.rb
/hbase/event_data*

O/P :-
*Warning: $HADOOP_HOME is deprecated.

hdfs://192.168.20.30:9000/hbase/event_data    8.38 GB
*

where dus.rb is

*include Java
import org.apache.hadoop.util.StringUtils
path = ARGV[0]
dus = %x[$HADOOP_HOME/bin/hadoop fs -dus #{path}]
splited = dus.split
byteDesc = StringUtils.byteDesc(splited[1].to_i)
puts splited[0] + "\t" + byteDesc*

In short hbase command shows that disk utilized is around 9 GB but actual
file system usage is 30 GB.
However this difference vanishes if i restart my Hbase.
I am not able to understand this.
Does Hbase keeps lot of files ( in GBs ) open while working ?
--
Thanks and Regards,
Vimal Jain