Avro >> mail # dev >> schema repositories?

Re: schema repositories?

On 7/10/12 11:25 AM, "Doug Cutting" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jay,
>
>This sounds to me like something of general utility that would make a
>great addition to Avro.
>
>To be clear, I assume you mean contributing this as source code for a
>service that folks can deploy, right?  For example, it might be a Java
>project that builds a WAR file that, when deployed, presents a REST
>front end and talks to a backing persistence layer where the schemas
>are stored.  Is that right?
>
>Also note that Avro recently added a standard facility for defining
>Schema fingerprints that might be used as Schema IDs in such a
>service:
>
>http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/spec.html#Parsing+Canonical+Form+for+S
>chemas
>
>This has currently been implemented in Java and C#:
>
>http://avro.apache.org/docs/current/api/java/org/apache/avro/SchemaNormali
>zation.html
>
>I like the notion of a Schema source for the uses you describe.  For
>records might this simply be the fully-qualified record name?  For
>unions and other unnamed types it might take the same form as a record
>name.  We could use the "long form" for primitives and always supply a
>name so that an string schema might be {"type":"string",
>"name":"org.foo.Bar"}.  Would this work, or is there some other
>structure and use of sources for which schema names are not a good
>match?

If your source is a database table, or pub-sub topic, then multiple
sources might have overlapping schemas at different points of time.  Two
topics might share a schema, and their schema evolution may or may not
diverge over time.  The FQDN of a record might be appropriate in some
cases to capture this, but not all.
Capturing the sequence allows you to eagerly ensure that your current
schema is compatible with the entire history of the source's schema
evolution.

I suppose there could be support for fingerprints here, but it does not
seem to be required and in some cases a generated sequential ID will take
up a lot less space if stored with each record.  A typical source might
only change its schema once a month, each record needs to have the id
portion of a (source, id) pair stored with it, which will typically be 1
to 2 bytes.