Pig >> mail # dev >> Re: Our release process

+
Santhosh M S 2012-11-30, 07:16
+
Julien Le Dem 2012-12-01, 01:37
+
Santhosh M S 2012-12-01, 07:46
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-12-04, 20:46
+
Julien Le Dem 2012-12-07, 23:54
Re: Our release process
If everybody is using a private branch then

(1) We are not serving a significant part of our community
(2) There is no motivation to contribute those patches to branches (only to trunk).

Yahoo has been trying hard to work of the Apache branches but if we increase the scope of what is going into branches, we will go with private branch approach as well.

Olga
________________________________
 From: Julien Le Dem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Olga Natkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Santhosh M S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: Our release process

Here's my criteria for inclusion in a release branch:
- no new feature. Only bug fixes.
- The criteria is more about stability than priority. The person/group
asking for it has a good reason for wanting it in the branch. If commiters
think the patch is reasonable and won't make the branch unstable then we
should check it in. If it breaks something anyway, we revert it.

For what it's worth we (at Twitter) maintain an internal branch where we
add patches we need and I would suggest anybody that wants to be able to
make emergency fixes to their own deployment to do the same. We do keep
that branch as close to apache as we can but it has a few patches that are
in trunk only and do not satisfy the no new feature criteria.

What does the PMC think ?

Julien

+
Russell Jurney 2012-12-11, 03:03