Avro, mail # user - Random access in an avro file

Re: Random access in an avro file
Scott Carey 2013-07-02, 18:59
There are a couple other index formats that could apply.  You can seek to a
sync marker and scan from there.    For example Avro files can be a target
for Elephant Twin
(http://www.slideshare.net/squarecog/flexible-insitu-indexing-for-hadoop-via
-elephant-twin ; http://gitrep.com/users/twitter/repos/elephant-twin).

However, that is a light-weight index for marking which blocks have records
that match the index, it does not locate the exact record.

From:  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Monday, July 1, 2013 10:26 AM
To:  user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:  Re: Random access in an avro file

Thanks for the reply Doug.

Out of curiosity, is maintaining sync markers while writing the file and
then passing these markers to the readers while reading not a good way to
achieve random access in avro? Atleast that's what my understanding from
reading the javadoc[1] was, which could be flawed.

[1]
http://avro.apache.org/docs/1.3.3/api/java/org/apache/avro/file/DataFileWrit
er.html#sync()

--