Zookeeper, mail # user - adding a separate thread to detect network timeouts faster

+
Jeremy Stribling 2013-09-10, 20:01
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-10, 20:31
+
Jeremy Stribling 2013-09-10, 20:34
+
mattdaumen@... 2013-09-10, 20:45
+
Jeremy Stribling 2013-09-10, 20:48
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-10, 20:59
+
Ted Dunning 2013-09-10, 21:04
+
Jeremy Stribling 2013-09-10, 21:05
+
German Blanco 2013-09-11, 05:40
+
Jeremy Stribling 2013-09-11, 06:32
+
Michi Mutsuzaki 2013-09-11, 20:36
+
Rakesh R 2013-09-12, 07:05
Re: adding a separate thread to detect network timeouts faster
Michi Mutsuzaki 2013-09-12, 18:05
On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM, Rakesh R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> AFAIK, ping requests would not involve any disk I/O, but it would go through the RequestProcessor chain and executes sequentially.

Yes, that's what I meant. Ping requests don't touch disk, but they do
go through the commit processor. So if a ping request is behind a
write operation that takes a long time, the ping request will be
affected. This is done intentionally to take the disk into account for
the heartbeat mechanism.

Anyways, I misunderstood what Jeremy was proposing. He wants to keep
the session timeout relatively high to tolerate slow disk, but at the
same time detect non-disk failure (node down, network partition) more
quickly.

I think this can be done purely on the client side. Create a separate
thread that sends a 4 letter word command like ruok periodically, and
close the socket if the client doesn't get the response within certain
amount of time.
+
Rakesh R 2013-09-13, 06:24