Zookeeper >> mail # dev >> cleanup and subjective patches

+
Benjamin Reed 2011-10-31, 21:06
+
Ted Dunning 2011-10-31, 21:10
+
Benjamin Reed 2011-10-31, 21:15
+
Ted Dunning 2011-10-31, 21:18
+
Thomas Koch 2011-10-31, 21:35
+
Ted Dunning 2011-10-31, 21:39
+
Patrick Hunt 2011-10-31, 22:51
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-11-01, 01:47
+
Benjamin Reed 2011-11-01, 04:39
+
Ted Dunning 2011-10-31, 23:08
+
Fournier, Camille F. 2011-11-01, 14:21
+
Patrick Hunt 2011-11-01, 15:40
Re: cleanup and subjective patches
Fournier, Camille F.:
> Any changes coming in without tests should really be meaningfully
> untestable. I completely agree with the suggestion to require a testing
> uplift if you want to add refactorings unless you know the refactored code
> has 90+% test coverage.
>
> Personally, I have no problems with refactorings, but we seem to be
> spending much of our time dealing with them right now when we really need
> to get 3.4 out the door. It's been months that this release has been going
> on and splitting the committer attention between 3.4 and refactoring
> changes feels counterproductive to the needs of the community at this
> moment.

Some facts for the last two months:

25 patches submitted by me were committed
added lines:   1805
deleted lines: 5795
              ====              -3990
Two patches were about big legacy code removals, excluding them:
added lines:   1770
deleted lines: 2013
              ====               -243

Critical blocker bugs found because of doing refactorings:

ZOOKEEPER-1269 Multi deserialization issues
ZOOKEEPER-1246 Dead code in PrepRequestProcessor catch Exception block
And two other possible issues described in mail
  "Possible failure scenarios with deserialization + multi?"

minor bugs found:
ZOOKEEPER-1247 dead code in PrepRequestProcessor.pRequest multi case
ZOOKEEPER-1272 ZooKeeper.multi() could violate API if server misbehaves
ZOOKEEPER-1265 Normalize switch cases lists on request types

functional improvements:
ZOOKEEPER-1175 DataNode references parent node for no reason
ZOOKEEPER-556 Startup messages should account for common error of missing
leading slash in config files

missing tests added:
ZOOKEEPER-1254 test correct watch handling with multi ops
ZOOKEEPER-1259_central_mapping_from_type_to_txn_record_class (not yet
committed)

At the beginning of October I also reviewed _all_ open bugs and closed a
couple of obsolete onces or asked for feedback.

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro
+
Fournier, Camille F. 2011-11-01, 16:51