Hive >> mail # user >> Cannot recognize input near..

Cannot recognize input near..
Hi,
     I am trying to run a simple query in my JDBC-Client java code:

============================================================// create mon_tbl - Monthly aggregated data
    String mon_tblName = "month_tbl";
    sql = "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS " + mon_tblName;
    res = stmt.executeQuery(sql);
    res = stmt.executeQuery("CREATE TABLE " + mon_tblName + " (ServerIP
STRING, Month INT, BytesSent BIGINT) ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED
BY ','");

    sql = "INSERT OVERWRITE " + mon_tblName + " SELECT ServerIP,
month(StartTime), SUM(BytesSent) from " + totallogs_tbl + " GROUP BY
ServerIP, month(StartTime)";

    res = stmt.executeQuery(sql);
*ERROR Message:*

Exception in thread "main" java.sql.SQLException: Query returned non-zero
code: 11, cause: FAILED: Parse Error: line 1:17 cannot recognize input near
'month_tbl' 'SELECT' 'ServerIP' in destination specification

    at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.jdbc.HiveStatement.executeQuery(HiveStatement.java:189)
    at jtv_jdbc_client.main(jtv_jdbc_client.java:72)
root@ip-10-12-97-109:/home/users/jtv/hive_jdbc#
I checked the field-names, made sure there are commas between the
attributes. spell-check etc. Can we have built-in aggregate funcitons (like
SUM) and date functions (like month(StartTime)).? To use them, should I do
anything special? I do not understand the error statement.

Please advise.

Thanks,
PD.