MapReduce >> mail # user >> Re: Exception while running a Hadoop example on a standalone install on Windows 7

On 09/04/2012 02:35 PM, Udayini Pendyala wrote:
> Hi Bejoy,
>
> Thanks for your response. I first started to install on Ubuntu Linux
> and ran into a bunch of problems. So, I wanted to back off a bit and
> try something simple first. Hence, my attempt to install on my Windows
> 7 Laptop.

Well, if you tell to us the problems that you have in Ubuntu, we can
give you a hand.
Michael Noll have great tutorials for this:

Running Hadoop on Ubuntu Linux (Single node cluster)
http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-single-node-cluster/

Running Hadoop on Ubuntu Linux (Multi node cluster)
http://www.michael-noll.com/tutorials/running-hadoop-on-ubuntu-linux-multi-node-cluster/

> I am doing the "standalone" mode - as per the documentation (link in
> my original email), I don't need ssh unless I am doing the distributed
> mode. Is that not correct?

Yes, but I give you the same recommendation that Bejoy said to you: Use
a Unix-based platform for Hadoop, it's more tested and have better
performance than Windows.

Best wishes

> Thanks again for responding
> Udayini

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
*Data Engineer && Sr. System Administrator at UCI*
My Blog <http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com>

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci