Hive >> mail # user >> hive.metastore.warehouse.dir - Should it point to a physical directory

Re: hive.metastore.warehouse.dir - Should it point to a physical directory
No, you only need a directory in HDFS, which will be "virtually located"
somewhere in your cluster automatically by HDFS.

Also there's a typo in your hive.xml:

  <value/software/home/hadoop/hive/hive-0.9.0/warehouse</value>

Should be

  <value>/correct/path/in/hdfs/to/your/warehouse/directory</value>