HBase >> mail # dev >> HBase Developer's Pow-wow.

Re: HBase Developer's Pow-wow.

> The use cases considered, at least over here at TM, all come down to
> range scanning over values (e.g. WHERE INTEGER($value) < 50). So we
> need a mapping such that a scan over the index returns either lists of
> pointers to row:family:qualifier, or the value itself embedded in the
> index, following the natural order of values in the primary table as
> given by a comparator. And a number of projections like this.
I was thinking that exact criteria queries were higher priority than range
queries.  Interesting that you have a lot of needs for range queries.
 Performant range queries definitely lead to more likely storing values
next to the index and also in general a more compact storage format than is
easily achievable utilizing the shadow family idea.
> A set of
> default comparators for interpreting values as integers, longs,
> floating point, and complex JSON or AVRO records, would be useful.

Agreed.  Once a framework is in place, I see these being fairly
straightforward.