Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Owen O'Malley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Todd Lipcon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 1:57 AM, Steve Loughran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> > > +1
> > >
> > > And leave the 0.20.20x chain as is, just because people are used to it
> > >

> > +1 to Steve's proposal. Renaming 0.20 is too big a pain at this point.
> >

> I really don't see it that way. I'm continuing (up to and including last
> week) to have to explain the version numbering for 0.20, 0.20.2xx, 0.21,
> 0.22, and 0.23. Obviously the people who are willing to do the work don't
> feel that it is a waste of time or they wouldn't be signing up to do the
> work.
This smells like Java 1.4 versus Java 6 all over again.

Explaining why 0.20 became 1.0 when 0.21 didn't become anything is a pretty
strange exercise.

If a marketing person somewhere is totally set on making 0.23 be 2.0, just
do that and be done.  There doesn't have to be a 1.0 version.