HBase >> mail # user >> Re: data loss after cluster wide power loss

Re: data loss after cluster wide power loss
HBase is interesting here, because it rewrites old data into new files. So a power outage by default would not just lose new data but potentially old data as well.
You can enable "sync on block close" in HDFS, and then at least be sure that closed blocks (and thus files) are synced to disk physically.
I found that if that is paired with the "sync behind write" fadvice hint there performance impact is minimal.

-- Lars