Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Highly Available HDFS ???

Re: Highly Available HDFS ???

On Mar 25, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Sangmin Lee wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering if there is any effort or plans on HA (Highly
> Available) HDFS
> out there.
> Currently, NameNode is single point of failure and recovery requires
> human
> intervention.

Many (and probably most) users of hadoop are using hdfs for batch
processing.
As a result HA for name node has not received as high a priority as
other projects since
batch jobs can wait while the name node is restarting.
Clearly this is not acceptable for non-batch use of hdfs.
Suresh has a rough prototype of HA'ed Namenode using linux HA that he
is planning put in contrib one of these days (it is low priority
background task for him).

Sorry that I don't have a better answer.

sanjay