Or resurrect MR(v1) in Apache Hadoop as Apache YARN becomes a TLP, and let
the new YARN TLP decide if they want to use the Hadoop MR artifacts and/or
contribute patches that harmonize the implementation with theirs, or pursue
an alternate MR implementation within their larger framework.

I'd imagine such a MR(v1) in Hadoop, if this happened, would concentrate on
performance improvements, maybe such things as alternate shuffle plugins.
Perhaps a HA JobTracker for parity with HDFS. But we could expect a clear
separation where next generation framework work would be continued in and
centered upon YARN, while Hadoop remains... well, Hadoop.

Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)