HBase >> mail # dev >> HBaseTestingUtility Failing

Re: HBaseTestingUtility Failing
Hi David,

I can't say for certain given the test output (would need to see the logs
generated by the datanodes), but there is a common issue running mini
cluster unit tests if the environment's umask is not set to 022.  This is
due to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2556 where the mini
cluster DNs fail fast if the dfs.data.dir permissions do not match what is
expected.

We ran into this issue setting up builds or our hRaven project (which uses
HBaseTestingUtility) with Travis CI.  Modifying our .travis.yml file by
adding the following line fixed the problem:

script: umask 0022 && mvn test
This should override the umask for the test process for your project.

--gh