Hive >> mail # user >> Hive or pig for sequential iterations like those using foreach

+
bejoy_ks@... 2011-08-08, 11:40
+
Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu 2011-08-08, 11:44
+
Vikas Srivastava 2011-08-08, 12:16
Re: Hive or pig for sequential iterations like those using foreach
Thanks Amareshwari, the article gave me much valuable hints to decide my choice. But on curiosity, does hive support stage by stage iterative processing? If so how?

Thank You
Regards
Bejoy K S

-----Original Message-----
From: Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 17:14:21
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; [EMAIL PROTECTED]<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hive or pig for sequential iterations like those using foreach

You can have a look at typical use cases of Pig and Hive here http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/hadoop/posts/2010/08/pig_and_hive_at_yahoo/

Thanks
Amareshwari

On 8/8/11 5:10 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi
   I've been successful using hive for a past few projects. Now for a particular use case I'm bit confused what to choose, Hive or Pig. My project involves a step by step sequential work flow. In every step I retrieve some values based on some query, use these values as input to new queries iterative(similar to foreach implementation in Pig) and so on. Is hive a good choice here when I'm having 11 sequence of operation as described?  The second confusion for me is, does hive support 'foreach' equivalent functionality?

Please advise.

I'm from JAVA background, not much into  db development so not sure of any such concepts in SQL.

Thanks

Regards
Bejoy K S