Accumulo, mail # dev - Can Mutation.readFields return Mutation instead fo void?

Re: Can Mutation.readFields return Mutation instead fo void?
Billie Rinaldi 2012-09-11, 13:41
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 9:31 AM, David Medinets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I am looking to simplify some. Here is the code I am looking at:
>
>   private Mutation cloneMutation(Mutation m) throws IOException {
>     ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
>     DataOutputStream dos = new DataOutputStream(baos);
>     m.write(dos);
>     dos.close();
>
>     ByteArrayInputStream bais = new
> ByteArrayInputStream(baos.toByteArray());
>     DataInputStream dis = new DataInputStream(bais);
>
>     Mutation m = new Mutation();
>     m.readFields(dis);
>     return m;
>   }
>
> The readFields method in Mutation starts like this:
>
>   @Override
>   public void readFields(DataInput in) throws IOException {
>   }
>
> It seems harmless to have readFields return 'this' instead fo void.
> Any objections?
>
> On a slightly different note, it seems like readFields should actually
> be a constructor. Because it's job is to set the row, data, value, and
> entries. Just as the other constructors do. Any objections to
> converting it to a constructor.

That readFields method is inherited from Writable, so you can't change it.
When I made IteratorSetting extend Writable recently, I thought it would be
nice to have a constructor IteratorSetting(DataInput din) that calls
readFields, so I added it.  I wouldn't be opposed to adding such a
constructor to Mutation.

Billie