Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib

Re: Drop version part of jar filenames in $ACCUMULO_HOME/lib
I never unpack over top of an existing installation, but that's not
the only advantage. For instance, not having to update scripts is
nice.

Adding a VERSION file is reasonable... but it'd just be a convenience
if one doesn't do the symlinking thing that Billie mentioned, where
one can see the top level directory name.

I see 3 main cases for deploying Accumulo:
1) Using RPM/DEB, which manages versions of files for you, and the
version in the filename is irrelevant.
2) Unpacking a tarball into a separate directory, with a name
according to the version, in which case the version in the filename is
irrelevant.
3) Unpacking a tarball into the same directory, overwriting, in which
case the filename without a version is actually very convenient.

Regarding mixing versions of jars:

There's the case that somebody could copy into a directory a jar from
another version... but that's essentially the same problem as somebody
accidentally renaming a jar, and we can't protect against that. In the
worst case scenario, one simply needs to inspect the
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file from the jar to know for sure what version
it is.

Regarding easily telling which version one is using:

A VERSION file is convenient, and so is a directory name. RPM/DEB
handle this for you.

Keep in mind that this entire discussion is about what goes into the
binary distribution tarball's lib directory, though. Jars downloaded
from Maven will still have the version numbers in their filename, and
all jars will still have a MANIFEST.MF file with the version in it.
Looking at other packaging (outside of the Hadoop eco-system),
stripping the version from the name seems to be a quite common
practice.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii